Monday, July 12, 2010

20 Weeks

Today marks the halfway point in my pregnancy!  WHOO HOO!  Now that we finally know that we're having a girl, it's time I start getting things ready for her!  So far, the only thing we've bought for her is a box of bottle liners.  We don't really need much because most of Abigail's baby items will be reused (swing, playpen, bouncer, crib, dresser, etc.), but I do want to get her a bassinet for our room (the cradle we used for Abigail was completely useless - it wouldn't stay still/not rock and one night I woke up to find her rolled over to one side with her face against the edge.  That was the last time we used that!) and the biggest thing is I want to get her room ready!  I'm starting a new job this fall in the school district, and it's approaching us quickly, so it's in my best interest to do as much as I can in this last month that I have of summer time!

Things I need to do:

  1. Move out all of Abigail's furniture and repaint her room.  Move in the full bed that is currently residing in the baby's room and serves as the extra bed for guests.  I need to get her a new bed frame and a new dresser and of course BIG GIRL BEDDING!  I have a few picked out at Pottery Barn Kids, but Robby doesn't really like any of them.  He says they're not girly enough.  I wonder what his criteria of "girly enough" is.  I think he's looking at all the Disney Princess stuff that 3 year olds love and will think that in a year or two she'll want a princess room or something.  The only problem:  I'm not into having a total Disney room.  I gave in with Winnie the Pooh for her nursery (that's all he really wanted), but I think it's time we move away from the "character" rooms.  I'm all about a character themed birthday party, but not a character themed bedroom! 
  2. Take out everything in the current guest room/future baby room (I'm really seeing a "keep/sell/toss" thing going on here.  We have so much junk that we just don't use anymore!  Time to purge and cleanse!)  Repaint the room (this will be quite a job because the previous owners painted two walls a maroon color - complete with wallpaper border and some sort of ugly trim.)  I'm also considering scraping off the popcorn ceiling to make it smooth, but I'm not sure what kind of job that is. 
  3. Decorate the nursery!  This is the most fun part!  I am so excited that I get to decorate two girls' rooms!  I can't decide on the bedding for her, either.  I don't really like anything at Babies R Us, but I have found two that I like at Pottery Barn Kids!!  Agh, so many decisions!
  4. Hopefully I will be able to coordinate some kind of "matching" feature or theme for the rooms so that I can redo the hall bathroom that is between their rooms.  I don't want it to be too "little kid-ish" (no ducks or pirates or anything!) but I think I can make it youthful and pretty at the same time.  I always wished the bathroom at my house growing up had a more fun bathroom.  (When we moved into our new house, Michael and I each got our own bathrooms, so I could decorate how I chose, but I would have loved it in our old house, too!)  I think that the house in which we live needs to be tailored for the family that lives there and not for guests who only visit.  I'm not the type of person to have pretty soap or towels that you can't use!  Why have it if you can't use it?  (That also goes for my china - which we have used for occasions other than Christmas/Thanksgiving!)
Sheesh, I have a lot to do for these two girls!  You should see my list for the rest of the house! 

0 comments: