Saturday, February 19, 2011

Penguin Days!

In the months of January and February, The Dallas Zoo holds $5 Penguin Days; their slogan is "When the weather is cold, prices are hot," meaning that admission is only $5 per adult instead of normal price of almost $15/adult (Abigail and Hailey are free either way).  Since the weather was nice, Robby and I were looking for something to do that was inexpensive, outside, and engaging for all, so naturally, the zoo was a good choice.  The last time we went to the zoo was last July, for their $1 Day - everything was a dollar!  This time, it wasn't nearly as crowded, and WOW at the difference with Abigail.  She was engaged, knew the names of animals, talked about them, "He's jumping!" (talking about the monkey) and loved telling Hailey about them, "Look, Hay Hay, giraffes!" 

Hailey liked strolling around in their new double stroller (yes, we finally broke down and got one), while Abigail loved the easy accessibility of stroller or walking.  She rode in the stroller between exhibits, but Daddy would pick her up at each one and let her see the animals.  Hailey's favorite exhibit was the monkey exhbit, I think because they were the most exciting with all their movement and screeching, while Abigail absolutely LOVED the giraffes!  At the Dallas Zoo, the giraffes can come right up to you and you can (although signs say not to) touch them - they are so close.  We didn't touch - as most people didn't. 

There was one mountain cat, a moutain lion or puma or something, that was literally three feet away (in a cage, of course), and he was playing with the zookeeper.  She ran in front of the cage, he followed her, she stopped and jumped, and he jumped back - it reminded me of how we play with Chance.  Anyways, Abigail saw all this and said, "Mama, get him out!  Get him out!"  She wanted to play with and pet him, too.  So cute! 

OH MY GOODNESS!  I almost forgot to mention the otters!!   This is the first time - in my LIFE, I think - that I have ever seen otters be so active.  They were doing flips, playing with one another, floating down their river and their waterfall, basically just putting on a show for all us, and I LOVED every minute!  I could have stayed for hours to watch them!  This was my favorite part!  Unfortunately, I was so enthralled that I did not get one single picture. 

We also strolled over to the children's zoo, where there are animals to pet (and ride, although, thank goodness, Abigail hasn't asked to ride them yet!).  She was completely uninterested in the huge pig, loved the horse and fish tank, and was on the fence about the goats.   Robby took Abigail in the goat petting area, and the very first one she approached tucked his head and ran towards her (no horns, whew!), so that scared her a little.  Robby did a great job coaxing her to try to approach another one, and she timidly pet him.  Once we said that she could feed him like the donkeys (she loves those donkeys at Papas!) she picked up some hay and was much more brave. 

Over all, it was a wonderful day!  We had a great family day and both girls were tuckered out before 8pm, so now Robby and I are enjoying a quiet house.  :)
















Their first bath together.  Sorry, just had to sneak it in.

0 comments: