Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, America!

The day started off with a change of plans. We were scheduled to go to my Aunt Becky's house for her annual 4th of July cookout and swim party, but late on July 3rd, Aunt Sue (Becky's and my dad's sister) had a heart attack and was in the hospital. So, change of plans. (She had to have three stents put in at noon today and is still in the hospital. She's doing okay - not great, but okay.)

Instead, Robby and I decided to take advantage of our rare spare time and we drove down south to the Mansfield/GP area to look at some houses I had picked out online. I LOVE house shopping! Originally, I wanted to move to Mansfield because of the excellent school systems, but after showing Robby some prospective day care centers close to my work, he mentioned moving to GP instead so I won't have a 20-25 minute commute. I was okay with the commute considering what I drive now, but he does have a point. And it's not like Abby will be going to elementary next year or anything. Knowing us, we'll probably move by then anyways. Also, a point to consider is all the wonderful changes the superintendent is making in the school district. In two years, she's brought the schools from 1 in 5 either recognized/exemplary to 1 in 2, with none deemed unacceptable. That's a substantial gain! Maybe by the time Abby is ready for school, the school system will be that much more improved and I will WANT to send her to GP.

By the time we got home, it was time for our night-night routine - Daddy playing with Abby while I get dinner ready, feeding her and us, bath time, quiet play, story and bed. She was out before it was dark and unfortunately missed her first fireworks show. We were going to take her out to the local high school, but since she was so sleepy at her normal bed time, we decided to just go ahead with her routine. Had she been awake, we would have gone. Oh well. Robby and I were able to watch the fireworks from the front porch, anyways. It was nice to have family time on this holiday.

Thank you troops and veterans for giving us this gift. Let freedom ring!

0 comments: