The sun decided to make another appearance today, so we wanted to make the best of the sunny day, especially since it is supposed to rain and get cold again tonight! Robby and I packed a lunch and we headed out to a park to have a picnic with Abigail and Chance in tow.
Instead of going to the dog park, like we did yesterday, we went to a closer park with a much better and more up to date playground. This park has trails, too, so we knew that we'd be able to take Chance for a good walk.
Although we had good intentions, it was too windy (March winds one day early?) to eat outside, so our picnic blanket was unused today as we had to eat in the car to keep everything from blowing away! The day was still a success, though, because as soon as we finished eating, we hopped out to soak up some sun and play.
The first playground was PACKED, so we thought it would be best to take Chance for a walk, then come back to the playground. It was our first time at this park, but we really enjoyed it. There were plenty of picnic tables, horseshoe pits, sand volleyball courts, basketball courts, a fishing pond and a very scenic walking/biking trail. There was a creek that ran through the park and, as we walked around, Robby and I were able to reminisce about the times we spent playing in the creek near our houses when we were younger. After about two-thirds of a mile hike in the woods, we came across ANOTHER playground, and this one even had a specific toddler area!
This playground was still busy, but there weren't that many people on the toddler toys, so we took Abigail out of the stroller to play. The play set was built like a town, with a jail, general store, music shop, and of course SLIDES! There were two side by side slides, so I slid in one while she slid in the other, holding hands. A lady there with her grandkids said, "What a great picture!" but Robby didn't have the camera out at this time! Aw shucks! There were triplets there about 18 months old and Abby liked taking turns (TAKING TURNS! YAY!) playing with the music chimes. It was sweet.
After a while, we headed back to the original playground, where our car was. When we approached the play area, Abby started pointing and squealing, obviously communicating that she wanted to play. I thought she would have been more timid on this playground since it was built for kids 5-12 and there were tons of older children running around, but she held her own and started running up the ramps with Daddy chasing behind her. After playing with the gadgets and sliding down the slide, a little girl, about 5, started playing with her. She held her hands, gave her hugs, protected her from big kids and when Abigail started walking towards Chance, she said, "No! He's a dog! You don't know if he is nice or not!" until Robby said that Chance was her puppy. It was so cute! Abby liked her new play mate, and when I said it was time to go, they hugged each other bye-bye. A lady watching all this said, "Oh, I thought they were sisters!" It made me think, "Hmmm...Sisters? Yeah!" I would love to have another girl someday - a sister for Abby! I know she'll be the best big sister. Robby was even talking about needing to get a double stroller! Haha. This is the best part of being a family, spending time together, without the internet or tv - just being outside and focusing on each other. This has been a memorable weekend!
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Picnic in the Park
I told him to put on his happy face, and this is what I got! I guess it doesn't get any happier than this!
On the way back, walking through the woods.
The music station on the big playground.
Posted by Kasie at 4:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment