Friday, May 21, 2010

SURPRISE!!



Between 2nd and 3rd periods I usually have to run down the hall to the faculty restroom (this is a new development from Roden Baby #2!) and today, when I returned to class, my lights were off and there were "no kids" in there. Actually, I could see them hiding beneath the tables (we don't have desks) and behind columns, but I decided to play along like I do with Abigail when she is squatting behind a chair.

I called another teacher over to my room, and said, in a loud, very obvious voice, "WOW! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE MY STUDENTS ARE? NO ONE IS HERE TODAY!" My colleague just kind of looked at me like, "What?" and when we walked into my classroom, the lights flashed on, and all my students jumped out from their hiding spots and yelled, "SURPRISE!" My feigned concern works as well on 16 year olds as it does with my sweet 18 month old. Funny how they never outgrow it! :)

Ha! Even though I picked up on where they were hiding, what I wasn't expecting is that they surprised me with a small birthday party - cake and cookies and confetti! They made me a nice, sentimental card talking about how much they enjoyed having me as a teacher, and they all signed it with a handwritten message. :) That was truly the best part! This class is my AP English Language class, and since there are only 11 students (it's a junior level class, but all these students are sophomores - GT in English), I have gotten to know each student on a more personal level than I do with the majority of my other students. It has been nice to get to know these kids! They are a great bunch!

It is really nice to have such thoughtful students who celebrate my birthday, even if it's just to get food in the class! I'm impressed that they coordinated this all on their own! The cake said "Happy Birthday Mrs. Roden!" so I know they had to pre-plan! Wow!

1 comments:

mom said...

You are a wonderful teacher and you should be very proud that you make a difference in their lives!
I am proud of you.